Our History

Melcor has been in the business of real estate since 1923.

Three generations of Melton family leadership have helped build our company from its foundations to one of the most respected real estate companies in Canada and the United States.

The future is an exciting time for Melcor. We boast a new generation of management and employees eager to carry on our tradition of hard work and strong business acumen.

As we look forward to even greater achievements on our journey to our 100th anniversary—we look back at what made all of this possible.

Personal integrity is the keystone of true professionalism.

1923

Stanley Investment Company was founded by Louis Timothy Melton and was named after his young son. The company specialized in west Edmonton real estate and in particular the Jasper Place community. Lots were sold for $100 each with a $5 down payment.

1932

The company name was changed to L.T. Melton Realty and was essentially a one-man operation until 1942.

1947

Stan Melton bought the business from his father.

1940s

Several subsidiary companies were formed to complement the brokerage business, including: Melton Petroleum, Melton Insurance Agency, Sillton Developments (land development), Melton Homes, Trans-Canada Mortgage Corporation and First Investors Corporation.

1950s-1970s

Melton Real Estate expanded across western Canada.

1953

Edmonton’s population was 170,000 and there were 16 Melton Real Estate offices strategically placed to provide specialized service to specific communities.

1968

Stan Melton felt strongly that employees should have the ability to own a piece of the company they worked for, so the company became publicly traded and was first listed on the Vancouver Stock Exchange.

1971

Melton Real Estate celebrated 15 consecutive first place finishes in MLS production. The company was the number one ranked real estate company in western Canada.

1973

Stan Melton died of a sudden heart attack at the Western Final football game between the Edmonton Eskimos and the Saskatchewan Roughriders at the age of 54. Garry Holmes was appointed president of the company. Tim Melton, who had been with the company for 3 years, was named corporate vice president.

1975

Timothy Charles Melton was appointed president of Melton Real Estate. The company now had dozens of offices and a sales force numbering in the 100s, however the land division assets were a growing and lucrative part of the business.

1976

Tim and the Melton Board decided that selling the brokerage business was in the best interest of the company’s shareholders. It was sold to A.E. Lepage Real Estate for $4.25 million and required a name change. The directors approved the name Melcor Developments Ltd.

1978

Melcor expanded into the US by acquiring land in Arizona and California and opening the Phoenix office.

1997

Ralph Young appointed president and Tim Melton appointed chairman and CEO.

1999

Ralph Young named president & CEO. Tim Melton retains executive chairman position.

2009

Melcor purchased the Dakotas at Camelback. Over the next several years, Melcor expanded its residential rental portfolio in the US via the acquisition of a number of properties in Arizona and Texas.

2014

Commercial properties were acquired in the Phoenix and Denver markets. Melcor Developments Ltd. announces record-breaking revenue of $313 million.

2015

Several residential rental properties in Texas and Arizona were sold.

2016

Development on Harmony in Aurora, Colorado began. This is Melcor’s first new US community since the late 80s.

2017

Darin Rayburn was appointed CEO of Melcor Developments Ltd.